Chicken and Basil Soup
When the weather turns cold and it's time for something hardy, this healthy chicken soup with basil hits the spot perfectly!
Whole30 Tomato, Chicken and Basil Soup
2 tbsp ghee
1 medium onion, minced
3 stalks celery, chopped
4 cups chicken broth
2-3 sliced carrots or 2 cups baby carrots, chopped
1 jar Otamot Organic Essential Sauce
2-3 *cooked shredded chicken breasts
1 tsp minced garlic or regular salt
1 tbsp dried basil
15 oz can coconut milk or 2 cups water
1. In a large pot, melt ghee. Add onion and celery and cook until tender.2. Add chicken broth, carrots, Otamot sauce, shredded chicken,salt and water if not using coconut milk (if using coconut milk, wait until the end to add) and bring to a boil. Boil until veggies reach desired tenderness and flavors combine (about 20
3. Stir in coconut milk, if using, and 1 tbsp dried basil. Enjoy!
*For a thicker soup, use the higher amount (3 breasts) of chicken. For a more brothy soup use the lower amount (2 breasts). Coconut milk will make it more creamy and help keep you satiated with the added healthy fats - highly recommended!
Instant Pot: You can make this whole thing start to finish in the instant pot, including making the shredded cooked chicken!
1. Put two uncooked chicken breasts and 1/2 cup water in your instant pot. Seal and cook on Steam for 10 minutes. While cooking, chop all your veggies and measure out your liquids. Once chicken is done, release the steam, open and remove chicken and water.
2. Set aside chicken and dump out water. Put instant pot on Saute and melt ghee. Once ghee is melted, add onion and celery and cook until tender. Then add the carrots and chicken on top of the onion/celery and pour in all the liquids and spices except the coconut milk (if using). Seal instant pot and cook on Soup for 15 minutes.
3. When done, release heat and open lid. Take out chicken breasts, shred, and put back into soup. Pour in coconut milk (if using), adjust seasonings as needed and serve.